GSE Private Mortgage Insurance Profile: 4Q15 PDF Format
The volume of loans covered by private mortgage insurance increased by 23.2 percent in 2015 despite a surge in government-insured lending that left PMI with just 34.1 percent of the insured mortgage market.
Inside Mortgage Finance’s GSE Private Mortgage Insurance Profile: 4Q15 digs into the fourth quarter sales of PMI-covered loans to explore the particulars of such business lender by lender for 1,541 companies: what volume of PMI-covered loans each lender sold, what the loan-to-value ratios were, how much of the lender’s GSE sales had PMI coverage, what channel the loans originated in, and which GSE the loans were sold to.
From GSE Private Mortgage Insurance Profile: 4Q15, you’d learn:
- Bell State Bank & Trust relied on PMI coverage for 46.0 percent of the loans it sold to Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac during the quarter. Santander Bank, on the other hand, barely used PMI at all, with only 12.3 percent of its sold loans carrying such coverage.
- At Trustmark National Bank, nearly half of the $67.6 million in PMI-covered loans it sold to the GSEs came from correspondents. Meanwhile at Cherry Creek Mortgage Company, $108.4 million, 89.9 percent of its total quarterly sales to the GSEs, were retail originated.
- Loans over 105 percent loan-to-value made up less than 1 percent of 4Q15 PMI-covered sales. But at American Financial Resources, they were 16.0 percent of the lender’s 4Q action.
- California continues to insure the smallest share of its loans—coming in at less than half the rate of all but eight other states—while also being the largest market by volume, more than twice the size of every state except Texas and Florida.
Gather this information and much more from these data collections:
- Ranking of the 1,541 lenders by volume of loans with private mortgage insurance. (Also presented in alphabetical order.)
- Ranking of the lenders by volume of loans originated in the broker or retail channels with private mortgage insurance. (Also presented in alphabetical order.)
- Ranking of PMI use by property state.
The data in this report will help you learn who is using private mortgage insurance, how heavily they are relying on it for their GSE business, and what the characteristics are of the typical loan that they are insuring.
Choose "PDF Format" for immediate download of document. You will also be able to access the document, at any time, through the "My Account" feature on insidemortgagefinance.com.