Volume 18 - Number 15
July 25, 2014
Subscribers to Inside Mortgage Trends have full access to all its stories and data online. Visitors may become subscribers for full access or may purchase individual articles and data.
Second-quarter bank earnings reports show a strong increase in overall mortgage banking profitability as new origination volume rebounded from historic lows set in the first three months of 2014. A new Inside Mortgage Trends review of earnings reports from 21 banks, including eight of the 10 largest banks in mortgage lending, reveals that the group generated $3.81 billion in second-quarter mortgage banking income. That was up 31.5 percent from ...
Not only are residential originations on the rise once again, but so are “signing bonuses” for top-flight loan officers who can bring in the volume. According to research from Garrett, McAuley & Co., signing bonuses being paid today range from $20,000 to $30,000, but “with some going much higher.” With production shifting toward purchase-money lending, LOs with deep ties to Realtors and homebuilders can fetch the most. But according to interviews ...
Concerns that rising interest rates will prompt current homeowners to stay in place are overblown, according to a number of industry analysts. A panel at Zillow’s latest housing forum this week focused on the issue of borrower lock-in, with most speakers downplaying the issue. Joseph Tracy, an executive vice president and senior advisor to the president at the Federal Reserve Bank of New York, said his research has found that rising interest rates ...
Lenders facing rising interest rates might be overlooking valuable hedging options, according to officials at Mortgage Capital Management. The firm offers pipeline risk-management services and is touting float-down locks, or put options on interest rates, which MCM claims will increase earnings stability and grow production. A float-down lock allows a borrower to receive a lower interest rate on their mortgage if rates decline between when ...
Black Knight Financial Services – with a little help from its friends at Wells Fargo Home Mortgage – has repurposed some of its existing technology and combined it with some fresh capabilities to help lenders cope with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau’s TILA/RESPA integrated disclosure rule. It also will enable mortgage lenders to automate the numerous multi-party processes required to close a loan these days, the company said. The new ...
Trying to find out how much money an individual mortgage company spends each year in marketing its products to consumers is no easy task. A quick survey of some of the nation’s largest lenders on advertising dollars conducted by Inside Mortgage Trends yielded the same exact response: “We don’t disclose that information.” Many large lenders don’t even engage in specific mortgage-related advertising, at least not on a national level. The one exception is ...
Mortgage lenders generally earned more on their servicing operations than on production activity during the first quarter of 2014, according to an Inside Mortgage Trends analysis of earnings reports from firms that disclose such information. The 10 companies in the sample group reported a combined $850.4 million in production-related income during the first three months of 2014, compared with $1.33 billion in servicing income ... [Includes one data chart]
A ranking by state of agency mortgage-backed security activity in the first half of 2014 with columns for purchase mortgages, refinances, Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac and Ginnie Mae.
- GSE Private Mortgage Insurance Profile 2Q14
- GSE Seller Profile: 2Q14
- Top Mortgage Players: 1Q14
- Agency Condo Market: 2013
- Mortgage Profitability Report: 4Q13
- GSE Repurchase Activity Full Year 2013
- Servicing Strategies and MSRs
- Non-Qualified Mortgages
- CFPB Exam and Enforcement
- Mortgage Buybacks Guide 2014
- Mortgage Originations Channels
- CFPB Mortgage Disclosure Requirements
- Qualified Residential Mortgages and Risk Retention
- CFPB's LO Comp Rule
- Ability-to-Repay Rule and Qualified Mortgages
- Fair Lending Compliance
- CFPB Regulation of Mortgage Servicing
Most Popular Stories
- Another Top Executive Departs Nationstar: Chief Compliance Officer Tankersley
- RPM Mortgage Contributed the Most to New Jumbo MBS from Two Harbors
- Short Takes: Todd Rundgren Takes on JPM / Jumbo Production Jumps 37% at EverBank / HAMP Processing Slows A Lot / FHFAs Watt to Take HARP Road Show to Atlanta / More Executive Changes at Flagstar
- Will Bank of America Ever Mend Fences With Fannie Mae?
- House Bill Would Delay Basel III and MSR Rules, At Least Temporarily