Volume 21 - Number 3
February 10, 2017
Subscribers to Inside Mortgage Trends have full access to all its stories and data online. Visitors may become subscribers for full access or may purchase individual articles and data.
Mortgage lenders that deliver loans to Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac mortgage-backed securities continued to do gradually more business with borrowers with lower credit scores, according to an exclusive new Inside Mortgage Trends analysis of MBS data. In 2016, 21.4 percent of purchase mortgages securitized by the two government-sponsored enterprises had credit scores ranging from 620 to 699. That was up from 20.6 percent in 2015 and 20.5 percent ... [Includes two data charts]
Lenders looking for originations as interest rates increase will likely have to put an emphasis on purchase mortgages. Seasoned loan originators with a track record of purchase-mortgage volume can help with that strategy, though retaining such LOs can be difficult because they are in demand. Matt Lind, a senior partner at Strategic Mortgage Finance Group, an advisory firm, noted that LOs often switch lenders, lured by incentives and higher compensation. He said nearly 60 percent of ...
Walter Investment Management Corp. has yet to release fourth-quarter results, but if its nine-month performance is any indication, it has some major challenges ahead. Through September, the publicly traded nonbank – the nation’s eighth-largest servicer via its Ditech unit – lost $506.9 million, some of it tied to non-cash writedowns on its mortgage servicing rights. But if revenues are any indication of future earnings, investors shouldn’t brace for too much good news in its ...
Staying on top of the multitude of documents involved in the process of originating a mortgage can help lenders avoid regulatory issues and increase returns, according to an analysis by Nationwide Title Clearing. The mortgage research and document-processing service provider detailed a number of issues with the so-called trailing-document process in a recent update to a white paper initially published in 2014. NTC said the white paper on document tracking and organization ...
Industry technology vendor DocuSign has tapped into some of the technological capabilities of Google – the G Suite collection of electronic tools, in particular – as part of a strategic initiative to digitize the mortgage closing process and sharply reduce the time it takes to close on a loan. “The broader idea for DocuSign – and Google Suite plays into this as well as the things that we’re doing with our ‘lead to close’ strategy – is wanting to take away any of the friction from completing ...
A ranking of the top 100 agency purchase-mortgage sellers in 2016 and a ranking of agency purchase mortgages by state.
- GSE Private MI Profile 4Q16
- GSE Seller Profile 4Q16
- Top Players 3Q16
- Top 20 Lender Profiles 3Q16
- Mortgage Profitability 3Q16
- GSE Repurchase Activity Thru 2Q16
Most Popular Stories
- A Blowout 4Q16 Profit for Fannie Mae: $5 Billion; $3.9 Billion in Gains from Derivatives
- What Were Hearing: Huge GSE Profits, Dont Get Used to It / The Perfect (Earnings) Storm / A Ginnie Solution for the GSEs? / PHHs New Strategy / Aide to HUD Nominee Ben Carson Fired for Writings Critical of Trump
- Freddie Mac Hits an Earnings Grand Slam in 4Q16: $4.8 Billion in Net Income; Gains from Derivatives Top $6.3 Billion
- Short Takes: What Does Bruce Berkowitz Think? / Freddie Exploring SFR Market / BB&T Building New Servicing Center / CoreLogic CEO on Medical Leave / loanDepot Executive Jumps Ship for Wisconsin Lender
- Sen. Crapo, Fed Chair Yellen Agree Housing Finance Reform is Urgent