Building Bridges: Connecting with Customers in a Changing RESPA Environment
Recorded March 8, 2017
With purchase mortgages likely to be the driving production force in 2017, connecting with homebuyers—especially early in the process—is becoming even more crucial. While recent enforcement actions and guidance from the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau have upended decades of RESPA enforcement policy and scared many originators away from using marketing services agreements and other business development relationships once allowed by regulators, a federal court ruling in PHH v. CFPB is once again changing the regulatory landscape.
The mortgage lending environment could change significantly in the coming months if the Supreme Court rules in PHH v. CFPB that the bureau overstepped its boundaries in enforcing Section 8 of the Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act. Or a change in CFPB leadership, brought on by a ruling in the PHH case, installation of a new agency director by President Trump or Congressional changes to the bureau's leadership structure, could dial back current CFPB enforcement policies.
Learn more about balancing customer acquisition with regulatory risk with “Building Bridges: Connecting with Customers in a Changing RESPA Environment.”
During this 90-minute presentation, you’ll hear from:
- Rodrigo Alba, SVP, Mortgage Finance & Regulatory Counsel, American Bankers Association
- Benjamin K. Olson, Partner, BuckleySandler
- Phillip L. Schulman, Partner, Mayer Brown
Among the topics covered:
- What business relationships are allowed under the CFPB's existing RESPA interpretation?
- What are the greatest RESPA Section 8 risks facing mortgage lenders?
- Has the regulatory environment changed for marketing services agreements?
- What actions long thought to be allowed are now resulting in CFPB sanctions?
- What metrics should you avoid when determining if a business development relationship is paying off?
- What role does the lender's intent play in the CFPB's analysis?
- Why are exclusive arrangements a bad idea?
- What can your partner do to send business your way without violating the CFPB's interpretation of RESPA?
The recording, which contains both an integrated audio/video copy of the conference as well as an audio-only version and the conference manual, can be downloaded from your InsideMortgageFinance.com account immediately after purchase.