Top Mortgage Players 4Q14 Print edition with shipping outside of U.S.
While 2014 started off dismally and ended up at the lowest level since 2000, mortgage originations did rally in the second half, leading to a better-than-originally-forecast year-end total. Most top lenders saw drops compared to 2013. But 10 of the top 40 originators managed to make giant leaps even in a slow year, growing their business 10 to 75 percent over 2013 levels.
Also in the fourth quarter:
- While a handful of lenders were still responsible for an outsized share of originations (the top five accounted for one-third of 2014 production), smaller lenders, particularly those just below, in the number 6 to 40 spots, continued to eat away at the big guys’ market share.
- The broker channel generated its lowest output since at least 1995, and took a harder sequential fall than the overall originations market.
- As in the third quarter, production of loans for refinance took a big leap up, growing 16.9 percent sequentially. But the larger purchase-mortgage market headed in the opposite direction, more than offsetting the growth in refis.
- Jumbo lending and home-equity lending both grew in the fourth quarter. Together, they made up nearly one-quarter of 2014 originations.
- The shortage of bulk servicing transfers—and Ocwen’s decreasing portfolio—didn’t stop nonbanks from increasing their piece of the servicing market, up at the end of the year to 28.2 percent.
- The switch in focus to refinances, which are less likely to carry mortgage insurance, caused a downturn in private MI business. But the MI companies still came out of 2014 in better financial shape and with a stronger market position than a year earlier.
Keep track of how the changes are playing out for the industry and its top performers with IMF’s Top Mortgage Players report. Issued quarterly, this report gathers IMF’s gold-standard rankings and analysis of the mortgage industry’s sector leaders into one resource so that you’ll have all the most important mortgage market intelligence at your fingertips each quarter.
Use the charts and accompanying perspective in the Top Mortgage Players report to learn who the market leaders are in the mortgage industry’s niches and how their business has changed from the previous quarter. You’ll also have market-level data that show you which sectors or products are performing well and which aren’t.
Get the rankings and performance stats for the leaders in these categories:
- Mortgage Originations
- Retail Originations
- Wholesale Production
- Correspondent Production
- Broker Production
- GSE Production by Channel
- Refinance Production
- Purchase-Mortgage Production
- Conventional-Conforming Production
- Government-Insured Production
- Primary Mortgage Insurance
Plus, you’ll have overall market statistics that show the activity in these areas:
- Mortgage Origination Indicators
- Originations by Production Channel
- Mortgage Originations by Product
Accompanying analysis provides color on trends in each sector and backstory on changes in the players’ performance.
Use this quarterly report to
- Monitor the market sectors you’re currently conducting business in.
- Evaluate competition in sectors you’re considering expanding to.
- Research potential partners or clients.
- Know who’s leading the sectors, by how much, and what their trajectories look like.
Choose "PDF Format" for immediate download of document. You will also be able to access the document, at any time, through the "My Account" feature on insidemortgagefinance.com.
Choose "Subscription" and download the current quarterly report immediately. We'll load the next three quarterly reports to your insidemortgagefinance.com account as soon as they are published and notify you by email.