GSE Seller Profile
The lions share of mortgage originations continue to find their way into Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac securities, making sales to the GSEs a good indicator of what is happening in the mortgage market as a whole.
In its quarterly report GSE Seller Profile, Inside Mortgage Finance examines GSE sales lender by lenderfor every lender that made a sale to a GSE during the three-month period. Youll have detailed information on where the loans are coming fromretail, correspondent or broker. Youll have particulars on the loan demographicsFICO score, loan-to-value, debt-to-income and loan size averages. Youll also see how the sales break down by product typerefinance or purchase. Dig deeper into the channel-specific data to get even more narrowly focused information on loan demographics and product type.
The particulars allow you to compare and contrast your results, as well as your products and processes, with the rest of the market to root out refinements and new approaches that will improve your own results.
The current report looks at the 1,873 sellers to the GSEs in the third quarter of 2014 and reports on their activity. Youll find:
- Ranking of the 1,873 sellers by volume with detail on their market share, volume by channel, volume by loan purpose and average loan characteristics.
- An alphabetical listing with rank, total volume and market share and detail on each sellers volume by channel, volume by loan purpose and average loan characteristics.
- Separate rankings of GSE sellers by channel with channel volume and market share. These rankings provide separate detail on average credit score, DTI, LTV and loan size for refinance and purchase loans.
- Average coupon for the Top 100 sellers for each month in the quarter. Youll find coupon rate for all loans as well as for each purpose and each channel.
The data in the GSE Seller Profile are derived by IMFs research team from Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac loan-level mortgage securities disclosures.
Find out whos doing what to score more business. For example:
- Who is making use of correspondents and brokers, and what type of business are those channels bringing in.
- Who is lending to low FICO customers and what do the other loan demographics look like.
- Who is doing a lot of purchase-money business and what kind of loans are they making.
- By lender, what are the average FICO, DTI, LTV, size, refi share, and channel breakdown.
- Whose business would match up well with yours to create a successful partnership.
From the 3Q14 report, you would learn
- Purchase-money loans now make up the majority of GSE sales, just over the halfway mark in 3Q at 54.76 percent. But the shift is seen more often among the smaller sellers. Among the top 20 sellers, 40 percent are still refi-heavy. Among the top 100, just 27 percent.
- Looking for correspondent partners? These lenders are just a few of those that got the lions share of their loans from the correspondent channel: BB&T (66 percent), First Guaranty Mortgage Corp. (60 percent), First Bank Tennessee (76 percent), and Zions First National Bank (66 percent).
- M&T Banks retail purchase-money loans were near mirror images of the market, with average loan value, loan-to-value ratio and FICO score hewing to the market averages. But the refinance loans sourced through its retail branches had looser underwriting than the norm, with LTV of 76.2 percent (market average: 68.0), average FICO of 721.7 (market average: 744.1) and debt-to-income of 33.7 percent (market average: 31.8).
- In September, the loans that Prospect Mortgage sold to the GSEs had an average coupon of 4.660 percent. The rate for loans it generated from the retail channel was 4.406 percent. The rate on the purchase-money loans it made was 4.788 percent.
Choose the purchase option that best suits your needs:
- Subscribe to GSE Seller ProfileReceive quarterly updates in Excel format. With this option, youll always have current information on the strategies that others employ when dealing with Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac. Youll also have full flexibility to sort and view the data in the way best suited to your research...$3,777 per year
- Purchase current-period GSE Seller Profile in Excel formatDelivered in spreadsheet format, youll have unlimited flexibility to sort and view the information from the most recent quarter .$1,897
- Purchase current-period GSE Seller Profile in PDF or in printThis report provides details for each of the 1,873 companies who sold loans to the GSEs in 3Q14 .$897
- Purchase the GSE Seller Profile for past quarters in Excel format, PDF or print. (Not all formats available for all past periods.)
- GSE Private Mortgage Insurance Profile 3Q14
- GSE Seller Profile: 3Q14
- Mortgage Profitabiilty 2Q14
- Top Players 2Q14
- Agency Condo Market: 2013
Most Popular Stories
- Subprime Mortgage Servicing Rights Draining Away
- Wilbur Ross Quits Ocwens Board for Vice Chairmanship at Bank of Cyprus
- Lenders Urge Feds to Restore 100 Percent Risk-Weighting for MSRs, More
- Under FHFA Policy Change, Qualified Foreclosed Homeowners Can Repurchase Their Homes
- Correspondent Channel Posted Biggest Origination Gain of the Quarter